Cuban American connections to family in Cuba are not only a basic right in humanitarian terms, but also our best tool for helping to foster the beginnings of grassroots democracy on the island. There are no better ambassadors for freedom than Cuban Americans...
...Specifically, the President has directed the Secretaries of State, Treasury, and Commerce to take the needed steps to:
* Lift all restrictions on transactions related to the travel of family members to Cuba.
* Remove restrictions on remittances to family members in Cuba.
* Authorize U.S. telecommunications network providers to enter into agreements to establish fiber-optic cable and satellite telecommunications facilities linking the United States and Cuba.
* License U.S. telecommunications service providers to enter into roaming service agreements with Cuba's telecommunications service providers.
* License U.S. satellite radio and satellite television service providers to engage in transactions necessary to provide services to customers in Cuba.
* License persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction to activate and pay U.S. and third-country service providers for telecommunications, satellite radio and satellite television services provided to individuals in Cuba.
* Authorize the donation of certain consumer telecommunication devices without a license.
* Add certain humanitarian items to the list of items eligible for export through licensing exceptions.
keyboard shortcuts: V vote up article J next comment K previous comment